Substance Abuse and Mental Health Overview
The Utah Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH) was created as Utah’s substance abuse and mental health authority by Utah statute §62A-15-103. We oversee the publicly funded prevention and treatment system. If you, a friend, or family member is struggling with a mental health problem or a problem with alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs, there is help available.
DSAMH Strategic Initiatives
The DSAMH Strategic Initiatives detail the division policies, systems and programs
and activities to achieve our legislated mandates. They are:
- Focus on prevention and early intervention
- Develop a recovery-oriented System of Care, led by people in recovery, that is trauma-informed and evidence-based
- Strengthen the system of care for children and youth that is family-driven, youth guided, community based, to ensure that it is culturally/linguistically competent
- Promote integrated programs that address an individual’s substance use disorder, mental health and physical healthcare needs
- Zero suicides in Utah
- Quality services, programs, and systems promote individual and community wellness.
- Education enhances understanding of prevention and treatment of substance abuse services.
- Leadership understands and meets the needs of consumers and families.
- Partnerships with consumers, families, providers and local/state authorities are strong.
- Accountability in services and systems that are evidence based, outcome focused and fiscally responsible.
Scope of Responsibility
- Ensure that prevention/treatment services for substance abuse and mental health are available throughout the state.
- DSAMH Contracts with local county governments statutorily designated as local substance abuse and local mental health authorities, to provide prevention or treatment services.
- Provide oversight and policy direction to local authorities.
- Monitoring and evaluation of mental health and substance abuse services through an annual site review process, reviews local area plans, and reviews program outcome data.
- Provide technical assistance and training to local authorities, evaluates the effectiveness of prevention and treatment programs to disseminate the information to stakeholders.
- Supervises the administration of the Utah State Hospital.