The federal government requires each state to collect demographic and treatment data on all clients admitted into any publicly funded treatment facilities. The mental health data is called the Mental Health Event File (MHE). The substance use disorder data is called the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) and includes admission and discharge files. Providers submit the data monthly through a secure website into the SAMHIS (Substance Abuse Mental Health Information System) database. The data submitted into SAMHIS is used for all data reporting produced by DSAMH, unless otherwise specified. This data is also used to satisfy federal data reporting requirements.
To ensure quality of the data, providers are required to follow specifications for file formats and data definitions. Below are the specifications for each data set.
- FY2016 MHE Specifications-Effective Jan. 1, 2016
- FY2016 TEDS Admission Specification-Effective Jan. 1, 2016
- FY2016 MHE Specifications
- FY2016 TEDS Admission Specification
- FY2016 TEDS Discharge Specification
- FY2015 MHE Specifications
- FY2015 TEDS Admission Specification
- FY2015 TEDS Discharge Specification
- FY2014 MHE Specifications
- FY2014 TEDS Admission Specification
- FY2014 TEDS Discharge Specification
- FY2013 MHE Specification
- FY2013 TEDS Admission Specification
- FY2013 TEDS Discharge Specification