DSAMH was created as Utah’s substance abuse authority and mental health authority by Utah statute §62A-15-103 (to view statute click here).
Hope and Recovery
- Quality services, programs, and systems promote individual and community wellness.
- Education enhances understanding of prevention and treatment of substance abuse services.
- Leadership understands and meets the needs of consumers and families.
- Partnerships with consumers, families, providers and local/state authorities are strong.
- Accountability in services and systems that is performance focused and fiscally responsible.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Ensure that prevention and treatment services for substance abuse and mental health are available throughout the state.
- DSAMH Contracts with local county governments statutorily designated as local substance abuse authorities and local mental health authorities (Utah State Code Annotated §17-43-301, click here for statute) to provide prevention or treatment services.
- Provide oversight and policy directions to local authorities with the Board of Substance Abuse and Mental Health.
- Monitoring and evaluation of mental health and substance abuse services through an annual site review process, reviews local area plans, and reviews program outcome data.
- Provide technical assistance and training to local authorities, evaluates the effectiveness of prevention and treatment programs to disseminate the information to stakeholders.
- Supervises the administration of the Utah State Hospital.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Block Grant Applications2011 Mental Health Block Grant 2011 Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment